There is anger among Busia market vendors who have missed out on stalls in the new market.
On Monday, Busia municipal council authorities started to resettle traders in the new market constructed at Solo A village in Western Division.
Pascal Moyah, the Western Division town clerk and market manager, says that they have registered over 220 traders who are demanding stalls. He says that has forwarded all the complaints to the office of the Busia town clerk for intervention.
Eric Masiga, a trader says that the resettlement exercise should be halted due to irregularities
Resty Oundo Nabwire, another trader selling fish says that she was surprised that she did not get a stall and yet some traders were given more than three stalls in the market.
Yusuf Mafabi, a trader dealing in fresh food says that they have been operating in the main market for more than 8 years. He wants the list that is being used by the municipality authorities cancelled.
Vincent Okurut, the Busia Town Clerk says that several complaints are from traders whose names didn’t appear in the register and others were the landlords in the market who left operating business sometimes back and were also expecting to be considered.
Okurut however says the council is working round the clock to ensure that all traders get space to put their merchandise.
According to the records, 1,000 traders have so far been resettled in different sections of the market.