• Latest
Peace Marches Across DR Congo after Alleged ‘Massacre’ of over 100 Civilians

Peace Marches Across DR Congo after Alleged ‘Massacre’ of over 100 Civilians

4 years ago
NCDC to Convene 2nd International Conference on Curriculum Development Amid Education Reforms

NCDC to Convene 2nd International Conference on Curriculum Development Amid Education Reforms

16 hours ago
Col Boaz Kashaya Appointed New AUSSOM Coordinator

Col Boaz Kashaya Appointed New AUSSOM Coordinator

16 hours ago
Pictorial: Makerere’s Iconic Ivory Tower Re-opened in its Restored Glory

Makerere Rises to 11th in Africa, 776th Globally in Webometrics Ranking

2 days ago
NWSC Customer Base Hits 1.46 Million as Network Expands to 25,000 Kilometres

NWSC Customer Base Hits 1.46 Million as Network Expands to 25,000 Kilometres

2 days ago
Gen Kainerugaba Urges East Africa to Build Military Self-Reliance

UPDF Reshuffle: Ssemwanga to Command Reserve Forces as Busizoori Becomes Deputy Land Forces Commander

2 days ago
Brig Gen Paddy Ankunda Takes Over as Uganda’s Defence Attaché in Brussels

Universities Recognised for Affordable Housing Innovations as Kyambogo Takes Overall Prize

2 days ago
SoftPower News
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • News
  • Tourism & Travel
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
  • Regional
    • Kenya
    • Rwanda
    • Tanzania
    • Burundi
    • South Sudan
    • DR Congo
  • Defence & Security
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Africa
    • Columnists
    • Education
    • Health
      • COVID-19
    • International News
    • News in Pictures
    • OpEd
    • Pearl Of Africa
    • People
    • Politics
    • Special Reports
    • Women
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Tourism & Travel
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
  • Regional
    • Kenya
    • Rwanda
    • Tanzania
    • Burundi
    • South Sudan
    • DR Congo
  • Defence & Security
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Africa
    • Columnists
    • Education
    • Health
      • COVID-19
    • International News
    • News in Pictures
    • OpEd
    • Pearl Of Africa
    • People
    • Politics
    • Special Reports
    • Women
No Result
View All Result
SoftPower News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional DR Congo

Peace Marches Across DR Congo after Alleged ‘Massacre’ of over 100 Civilians

by Our Reporter
December 5, 2022
Peace Marches Across DR Congo after Alleged ‘Massacre’ of over 100 Civilians

Tens of thousands took part in the nationwide peaceful rallies organised by the Catholic Church.

20
VIEWS

Peace marches organised by the Catholic Church took place across the DR Congo Sunday to protest violence in the country’s east, days after an alleged massacre of civilians.

Protesters chanted slogans such as “No to the international community’s hypocrisy” and “No to the Balkanisation of DR Congo” at rallies in the capital Kinshasa and other towns.

Related Stories

NCDC to Convene 2nd International Conference on Curriculum Development Amid Education Reforms

Col Boaz Kashaya Appointed New AUSSOM Coordinator

Makerere Rises to 11th in Africa, 776th Globally in Webometrics Ranking

Clutching rosaries, crucifixes and banners and singing religious songs, demonstrators of all ages heeded the call by the Church to oppose the “aggression” in the troubled east.

However, a march planned for the key eastern city of Goma, on the border with Rwanda, was called off to avoid “a possible infiltration”.

The government has said that the death toll from an alleged massacre of civilians in the east last week runs to “more than 100”.

It has accused the M23 militia — with whom it is locked in a months-long conflict — of the killings at Kishishe, a village around 70 kilometres (40 miles) north of Goma.

The M23 over the weekend again denied it was responsible, after already calling the allegations “baseless”.

However, its leader Bertrand Bisimwa said in a statement that eight civilians had been killed by “stray bullets” during clashes in the village on Tuesday.

The March 23 movement, or M23, is a predominantly Congolese Tutsi rebel group that was dormant for years.

It took up arms again in November last year and seized the town of Bunagana on the border with Uganda in June.

After a brief period of calm, it went on the offensive again in October, greatly extending the territory under its control and advancing towards Goma.

Kinshasa accuses its smaller neighbour Rwanda of providing M23 with support, something that UN experts and US officials have also pointed to in recent months. Kigali denies the charge.

Talks between the two countries in the Angolan capital Luanda unlocked a truce agreement on November 23.

The ceasefire was scheduled to take effect on November 25. It should also have been followed by a pullout by the M23 two days later from the territory it had seized, but this did not happen.

The DR Congo army, in its accusations on Thursday, also said the M23 had breached the ceasefire with government troops, a charge that the group also denied.

By AFP 

Tags: Catholic ChurchCivilian massacreDR CongoPeaceful marchesrebelsSoftPowerSoftPower NewsTop Uganda News

Recent Stories

NCDC to Convene 2nd International Conference on Curriculum Development Amid Education Reforms

Col Boaz Kashaya Appointed New AUSSOM Coordinator

Makerere Rises to 11th in Africa, 776th Globally in Webometrics Ranking

NWSC Customer Base Hits 1.46 Million as Network Expands to 25,000 Kilometres

UPDF Reshuffle: Ssemwanga to Command Reserve Forces as Busizoori Becomes Deputy Land Forces Commander

Universities Recognised for Affordable Housing Innovations as Kyambogo Takes Overall Prize

SoftPower News Logo

SoftPower News is a subsidiary of SoftPower Communications LLC, a Ugandan digital media group. Keep posted of the latest from Uganda and East Africa.
Plot 4B Malcolm X, Kololo
P.O Box 1497, Kampala - Uganda
Tel: +256-392-001-701
Email: info@softpower.ug

This news site is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)

ADVERTISEMENT
  • News
  • Tourism & Travel
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Regional
  • Defence & Security
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • More

© SoftPower News

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

error: Content is protected
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Tourism & Travel
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
  • Regional
    • Kenya
    • Rwanda
    • Tanzania
    • Burundi
    • South Sudan
    • DR Congo
  • Defence & Security
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Africa
    • Columnists
    • Education
    • Health
      • COVID-19
    • International News
    • News in Pictures
    • OpEd
    • Pearl Of Africa
    • People
    • Politics
    • Special Reports
    • Women

© SoftPower News

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?