The Uganda Tourism Board (UTB) has reassured travellers, tourism investors and the international community that Uganda remains safe for travel despite recent Ebola-related reports involving travellers from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
In a press release issued on May 19, UTB said Uganda had only registered two isolated imported Ebola cases involving Congolese nationals who entered the country from the DRC and emphasised that there is currently no local transmission of the virus within Uganda.
“Importantly, there is currently ZERO local transmission or community infection within Uganda,” the statement said.
According to the tourism agency, one patient died and was later repatriated, while the second patient is currently receiving treatment under the supervision of the Ministry of Health.
The statement follows heightened public concern after reports emerged of a Congolese national who died in Kampala after testing positive for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, prompting intensified surveillance and contact tracing measures by health authorities.
UTB Chief Executive Officer Juliana Kagwa said Uganda’s health systems remain fully operational and experienced in managing outbreaks.
“The Uganda Ministry of Health continues to maintain robust surveillance, screening, contact tracing, and rapid response systems nationwide,” the statement noted.
The tourism board further stressed that tourism activities, national parks, hotels, conference venues and transport services are operating normally across the country.
“Uganda remains safe, open, and welcoming for tourism, business, and investment. Life continues normally,” the statement added.
Uganda has previously been internationally recognised for its response capabilities during Ebola outbreaks and other public health emergencies, particularly due to its rapid response systems and cross-border health surveillance mechanisms.
The UTB statement also encouraged travellers and tourism practitioners to continue observing standard hygiene practices, including regular handwashing and the use of sanitisers.
The reassurance comes at a critical time for Uganda’s tourism sector, which has been recovering steadily through wildlife tourism, conferences and regional travel following previous global health disruptions.
The Ministry of Health has continued monitoring individuals who may have come into contact with the imported Ebola cases while coordinating with regional and international health agencies to prevent any spread of the disease.







