A Ugandan man was yesterday morning kidnapped by masked men from neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has been released.
The man identified as Isaya Mbeeta a resident of Munyaga cell, Butogota township in Kanungu district, is said to have been in his garden located on the Congo side of the border when he was kidnapped. The incident happened at 10am in the morning, according to Police.
This news website on Monday quoted the Police spokesperson for Kigezi region, Elly Matte as having said the kidnappers were militia armed with a rifle.
Matte said that Isaya’s captors demanded a reason of Shs 2 million.
On Tuesday, Matte reported that Mbeeta had been released by his captors.
“The victim of kidnap of Kanungu district was released last night after his family raised Shs 1.5m,” Matte said in a statement.
“He [victim] claimed to have not known which group of militia they belong because had masks on their faces”.
Mbeeta who has since been reunited with his family told Police that he was not mistreated.
The Eastern part of Congo is known to harbor a number of militia who have in the recent past terrorized the North Kivu province.
In August last year, a Ugandan businessman was kidnapped from Kanungu district by armed men said to have been dressed in Congolese military attire.
The victim, Robert Mugabe was kidnapped on August 3 by four people while he and three other people were driving through Queen Elizabeth national park in Kanungu district.
Armed assailants waylaid a vehicle (Isuzu Canter) in which the four were traveling in the national park and shot at and injured them. The vehicle was carrying fish from Kasese. An unspecified amount of money was also robbed by the armed people.
Mugabe who had been taken to a forest in DRC was later released after his family paid a ransom of USD 7,500 (Shs 28m).