Police has unveiled new tricks on how to spot, and identify suicide bombers.
The development comes at the backdrop of two bomb attacks that occurred at a pork joint in Komamboga, Kampala, and on a Swift bus bound for Ishaka at Lungala in Mpigi. The blasts claimed two lives, and left others injured.
Speaking at the Police Headquarters in Naguru, the police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, noted that it is important for members of the public to be made aware of the characteristics of suicide bombers and the fact that they come from nearly every cultural background, ethnic or religious group.
“Following the tragic incident of a suicide bombing on a SWIFT Safaris Bus, and the failed attempt of a suicide attack, in Pader District, we want to inform the public that the terrorist strategy of suicide attacks, against civilians is a very dangerous plot. And because suicide attacks or threats are a new phenomenon,”
Enanga added, “We have therefore, taken lessons from countries like Israel, which have experienced hundreds of suicide attacks, and developed some guidelines and profiles that highlight the general characteristics of a suicide bomber. We strongly believe that once a person is armed with specific information about a suspicious person, who intends to detonate him or herself, he or she can easily prevent or thwart a terrorist attack and save lives.”
Below are some General characteristics of characteristics of a suicide bomber
1. The appearance of being nervous. They may seem pre-occupied or have a blank stare.
2. Focused intent and vigilance. Such an acute focus may result in no response, to verbal or other contact.
3. An awkward attempt to blend in. Behavior will seem odd or overtly out of place.
4. Avoidance behaviors towards authority. If security is present, a suicide bomber will try to be inconspicuous.
5. May be praying fervently to him or herself. This gives the appearance of talking and whispering to someone. Keep in mind that many people talk to themselves, thus this behavior in and of itself, has little meaning. Further either of these behaviors could be confused with speaking on a cellphone.
6. Behavior may be consistent with that of a person without any future like giving away things of value, buying one-way ticket, or being unconcerned about receiving change for a purchase.
7. Profuse sweating that is out of synch with weather conditions.
8. Walking deliberately toward a specific target or object, often pushing the way through a crowd or armed barriers. This may show a high degree of focus or intent, especially if the target is in sight.
9. Lack of mobility of the lower torso, may cause upper body stiffness. This is due to the bomb device that is strapped to the body. The increased use of backpacks may reduce or eliminate this element.
10. In order to disguise the appearance, a beard may have been recently shaved or the hair cut short. There is a noticeable difference in the skin color of the recently shared area.
11. To smell better when going to paradise, the suicide bomber may use herbal or floral scented water.