The Uganda Peoples’ Defence Forces(UPDF) have launched a new offensive of air and artillery against the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) targeting mainly new camps for the group.
“On Saturday 16 September 2023, the UPDF in collaboration with our allies, the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), carried out a SURGICAL OPERATION using our strategic assets; to deny the planners of the recent bombs, found in Kampala freedom of action. We salute our forces engaged in Operation Shujaa for the continued sacrifices to ensure the territorial integrity of Uganda’s Western border,” UPDF said in a statement on Monday.
The air strikes have been reported beyond the areas that the UPDF had initially been allowed to operate in. This was also reiterated by President Museveni in a brief statement on Monday 18.
“I take this opportunity to inform you that on Saturday morning, our long-range assets paid a visit to the authors of the plan to kill Ugandans with home-made bombs. Those bankrupt criminals, were in the areas of Mambasa territory, beyond the areas we had been allowed to operate in by the Congo government, initially,” Museveni said.
The President added, “We are awaiting the reports of the post-attack assessment to judge whether the criminals escaped or have, finally, paid for their sins. If, however, they escape this time, they won’t the next one.”
Uganda and the DR Congo government recently extended the agreement for the joint operations between the UPDF and FARDC. Under the new arrangement, the operation will be extended to the territory of Mambasa in Ituri province where the ADF fighters had run to.
The new area of operation will see the ADF followed to the western part of the Luna – Komanda road, particularly in the chiefdoms of Babila Bakwanza and Babila Babombi in Mambasa territory.