Several civilians are reportedly fleeing into Uganda following clashes between the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) and March 23 Movement (M23) rebels.
Intelligence sources told SoftPower News on Sunday that heavy fighting between government forces and the rebel group had been ongoing since Saturday.
“FARDC has moved its artillery weapons close to Uganda Border on the hill overlooking Bunagana town,” the source said.
“The rebels are said to have taken over several villages from government forces. As usual, civilians are fleeing into Uganda.”
There are already 500 displaced households living in the city of Bunagana, on the border between the DRC and Uganda, in Rutshuru territory (North Kivu).
On Friday, Radio Okapi quoted the spokesman for Sokola 2 Operations, Lieutenant-Colonel Guillaume Njike, accusing the M23 of violating the ceasefire in North Kivu.
Regional heads of state in April called on the armed groups of Ituri, North and South Kivu to lay down their arms during consultations in Nairobi.
According to Lt Col Njike, M23 rebels attacked a FARDC patrol near their position of Kabasanza, in the Jomba group.
In turn, the rebel group instead accused the Congolese army of attacking its positions on Wednesday, May 18.
Serious fighting then resumed on Thursday, May 19 in Nyarubara and Runyoni, in the Jomba group south of Bunagana, in the territory of Rutshuru (North Kivu).