The Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Mr Thomas Tayebwa, has hailed the Chairman of Ruparelia group of companies, Dr Sudhir Ruparelia, for his passion and leadership in hospitality and tourism development in the Country.
While officiating at the Tourism night event in commemoration of the World tourism day yesterday in Kampala, Tayebwa said Mr Sudhir is one of the investors who holds Uganda at heart.
“I know people who have been calling Dr Sudhir to go and develop their Countries, I know many, some of them were asking me, but this Sudhir man what did you give him as Uganda? The man has a lot of money and we would like him to come and invest in our areas,” he revealed.
“So Chairman, I want to thank you and your team of investors who have looked at Uganda as your number one destination for investment,” he said.
The deputy Speaker also assured the investors of the Government’s support whenever they needed it.
Mr Tayebwa urged Ugandans to market their country wherever they go.
“This is our home, whether you want it or not we are going to be buried here,” he emphasized, adding, “Don’t hate your country because you don’t have any other country, if you go around painting a picture of Uganda, that is totally different and yet for you, you come and enjoy, it’s a point of concern for some of us, you can say whatever you want but know the limit and be the Ambassador of Uganda wherever you are and that is one way we can promote tourism in Uganda.”
The Deputy Speaker also pledged Parliament’s support to the tourism sector through both legislation and appropriation in key enablers like infrastructure and security to raise the tourism momentum.
During the tourism night, a number of people who played a big role in promoting Uganda were awarded.
1. United Nations Development Program (Awarded to UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT for the dedicated support towards Sustainable Tourism Development in Uganda).
2. World Bank (Awarded to WORLD BANK – UGANDA COUNTRY OFFICE for the dedicated support towards Sustainable Tourism Development in Uganda).
3. Embassy of Hungary (Awarded to EMBASSY OF HUNGARY for the dedicated support towards Sustainable Tourism Development in Uganda).
4. European Union (Awarded to EUROPEAN UNION COMMISSION IN UGANDA for the dedicated support towards Sustainable Tourism Development in Uganda).
5. Hotelier (Awarded to DR. SUDHIR RUPARELIA CHAIRMAN SPEKE GROUP OF HOTELS for your Passion and Leadership in Hospitality and Tourism Development).
6. Restaurants – HAJ OMAR MANDELA (Awarded to HAJJI AHMED OMAR MANDELA for the passion, innovation and development of the hospitality sector).
7. Eddy Kenzo (Awarded to EDDY KENZO for the passion and promotion of Tourism through Music).
8. Joshua Cheptegei (Awarded to JOSHUA CHEPTEGEI for the Passion and Promotion of Tourism through Sports).
9. Brian Namanya – TUBAYO (Awarded to BRIAN NAMANYA CEO TUBAYO.COM for the passion and promotion of digital innovation in tourism).
10. NBS (Awarded to NEXT MEDIA SERVICES for the passion and promotion of Tourism through Media).
11. Mountain Clubs of Uganda
Awarded to MOUNTAIN CLUBS OF UGANDA for your passion and promotion of mountaineering in Uganda.
12. Kara Tunga
Awarded to KARA TUNGA ARTS AND TOURS LTD for the passion and promotion of community tourism in Uganda.
13. Adam Fishire – Tubing the Nile
Awarded to TUBING THE NILE for the Passion and Promotion of Water-Based Adventure Tourism in Uganda.
Awarded to VILAKAZI SAFARIS for the passion and promotion of Domestic Tourism in Uganda.
15. Women Porters
Awarded to WOMEN PORTERS for the passion and selfless service in mountaineering.
16. Extreme Adventure Park
Awarded to EXTREME ADVENTURE PARK for the passion and promotion of adventure tourism in Uganda.
17. Baguma Restaurant
Awarded to BAGUMA RESTAURANT for the passion and growth of the restaurant enterprise in traditional cuisine.
18. Chimpundu Lodge
Awarded to CHIMPUNDU LODGE for the passion and development of the lodge enterprise in Uganda.
19. World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)
Awarded to WORLD WIDE FUND FOR NATURE for the dedicated support towards Sustainable Tourism Development in Uganda.
20. Miss Tourism
Awarded to MISS TOURISM for the passion and promotion of tourism through Pageantry.
Schools receiving certificates
1. St. Lawrence University
2. Makerere University
3. Uganda Wildlife Research and Tourism Training Institute
4. Kinawa High School – Mugongo
5. Grace High School
6. Kalinabiri Secondary School
7. Sir Apollo Kaggwa Mengo
8. Busega Preparatory School
9. City Parents Primary School